Career opportunity: Operations Engineer, Auckland
Are you passionate about Linux, email services and your Linux Ops Engineer career? Here's your chance to join New Zealand's leading cloud-based email hosting and security provider.
As SMX's Operations Engineer, you will deliver a secure and stable infrastructure platform to support the SMX suite of hosted email services — and much more!
We want to speak to you confidentially. Superb role, huge future in secure cloud solutions.
IMPORTANT: TO APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE, you must be living in New Zealand now, and be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (i.e. NZ Citizen, hold NZ Permanent Residency, or hold a full NZ work permit without restrictions (mandatory)). You must also have an exceptional command of English (written & verbal).
SMX is New Zealand's leading cloud-based email hosting and security provider. A growing blue chip list of enterprise and government customers around the world trust their email security to SMX. We provide a fully-hosted, enterprise-grade email gateway with mail filtering, content control, data loss prevention and archiving.
Our business and our team are growing and we are looking for an Operations Engineer. this full-time role is based in our Auckland CBD office.
THE ROLE: OPERATIONS ENGINEER (AUCKLAND)
Key Functions and Responsibilities
As an SMX Operations Engineer:
- You will be responsible for delivering a secure and stable infrastructure platform to support the SMX suite of hosted email services.
- You will deploy and manage SMX's growing estate of physical and virtual servers along with supporting storage and network infrastructure.
- You will be responsible for designing and implementing new technology solutions to meet SMX business requirements, and for day to day operations and maintenance of our existing platforms.
- You will act as first responder to production outages, and will work with our Application, Development, and Support teams to ensure that such incidents are brought to a timely resolution.
- You should possess intellectual curiosity, a methodical approach to problem solving, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Day-to-day operations will include:
- Installing, configuring, and tuning the infrastructure platforms used to deliver email services to our customers.
- Performing preventative maintenance of our services, working with the support team to schedule downtime as required.
- Monitoring production services and responding to alerts.
- Responding to production incidents, identifying cause, and writing incident reports to describe the event in clear language to SMX management and customers.
- Responding to requests and providing infrastructure expertise to other SMX technical teams, and to management.
- Troubleshooting problems and issues, and finding root causes.
- Proactive improvement of SMX operations tools and processes to improve efficiency.
- Keeping critical applications patched and responding to any urgent security issues.
- Capacity planning.
- Supporting the design of new customer or product solutions.
- Dealing with our vendors to raise tickets and resolve problems, and to manage any maintenance scheduled by vendors (e.g. ISP downtime).
- Documenting your work clearly and concisely.
- You will be required to share the on-call duties with other operations team members. This means carrying a pager and responding within defined SLAs. You will be required to be on-call one week in five and will be compensated as part of your package.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Mandatory — The 'Must Haves':
- Experience managing and deploying complex Unix/Linux environments (at least 5 years). Preferably CentOS or RHEL.
- Broad troubleshooting and diagnosis experience.
- Familiarity with configuration management concepts, and preferably direct experience with Puppet.
- Demonstrable skills in process automation. Minimally you should be able to demonstrate a high level of competency in shell scripting, and familiarity with one other language (Python, Ruby, Go, Perl, etc) as well.
- Strong understanding of common internet protocols, particularly TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, and TLS/SSL. You should be able to use tools like tcpdump and Wireshark to capture and analyse a protocol exchange between two systems.
- Basic familiarity with network devices such as switches, routers, firewalls,and load balancers.
- Good knowledge of standard Linux disk management tools.
- Working understanding of security practices relevant to Unix systems and networks. e.g. server hardening, authentication and authorization, use of the root account, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills and exemplary verbal and written communication.
- Strong time management and organisational skills.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Exposure to Apache Cassandra is highly desirable.
- Exposure to distributed storage clusters is highly desirable, particularly Ceph and Scality.
- Basic project management skills.
- Experience in a Telco or an ISP environment.
- Experience managing RPMs, including building/managing RPMs and repositories.
- Familiarity with cloud services, particularly AWS, Azure, or OpenStack.
- Good working knowledge of SQL databases, particularly PostgreSQL.
- Familiarity with email protocols and standards, e.g. SMTP, IMAP, POP3, SPF, DMARC, DKIM.
- A good understanding of network authentication technologies such as Kerberos
- A good understanding of LDAP.
- Skills in virtualisation, container, and related technologies, e.g. VMware, KVM, libvirtd, Docker, Vagrant, Packer.
- Working knowledge of security tools and practises, such as vulnerability assessment, vulnerability management, IDS/IPS, centralised logging, event correlation, defence in depth, server hardening.
- In-depth network skills including BGP, VRRP/CARP, NAT, VPNs (OpenVPN/IPsec), and LACP.
Preferred qualification and certifications:
- Tertiary level qualification in an IT related field.
- Relevant industry and professional qualifications e.g. RHCSA, RHCE, RHCA, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, LPIC-3.
- ITIL foundation v3.
- Have exceptional attention to detail and quality
- Have an analytical mind and can grasp complex solutions
- Strive for simplicity and efficiency in your work
- Highly organised and enjoy being part of a talented and creative team
- Are proactive and take ownership of an issue through to resolution
- Able to stay focused in a multitasking environment
- Passionate about your field of expertise
- Quiet achiever
- Exceptional command of the English language (written and verbal).
SMX OFFERS YOU
A highly competitive salary package including healthcare, ongoing development, and potential offshore conferences. You will work with a highly experienced and respected team. Our office is spacious and located in the Auckland CBD. A flat management structure and an open culture where you can contribute directly to respected cloud products with thousands of end-users around the world. We encourage work-life balance, we believe 40 hours means more enthusiasm.
SMX is committed to building a culturally diverse company and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
Remember, in order to be considered you must be living in New Zealand now and be legally entitled to work in the country. Please email your current CV and details of your experience directly related to the role, to SMX Recruitment Manager, Sally Jackson.
m: 022 308 4259
ph: 09 950 2204 (Free phone: 0800 769 769)