Career opportunity: Big Data Developer, Auckland
Do you specialise in Big Data, Java/JVM development, in a Linux environment? Do you enjoy functional programming? Are you skilled in critiquing and applying distributed systems research c.f. CAP theorem, Life Beyond Transactions, Paxos?
We want to speak to you confidentially. Superb role, huge future in secure cloud solutions.
IMPORTANT: TO APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE, you must be living in New Zealand now, and be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (i.e. NZ Citizen, hold NZ Permanent Residency, or hold a full NZ work permit without restrictions (mandatory).
SMX is New Zealand's leading cloud-based email hosting and security provider. A growing blue chip list of enterprise and government customers around the world trust their email security to SMX. We provide a fully-hosted, enterprise-grade email gateway with mail filtering, content control, data loss prevention and archiving.
Our business and our team are growing and we are looking for a BIG DATA DEVELOPER. this full-time role is based in our Auckland CBD office.
THE ROLE: BIG DATA DEVELOPER (AUCKLAND)
You will be working alongside a small, highly experienced team on the Big Data platform which supports SMX's cloud products.
Mandatory/Must have significant experience in:
- 5+ years of experience with Java/JVM development, in a Unix/Linux environment
- An appreciation and interest in the advantages of functional programming
- Be comfortable in reading, critiquing and applying distributed systems research c.f. CAP theorem, Life Beyond Transactions, Paxos
- Independent work ethic with an attention-to-detail mindset.
Preference will be given to expertise in:
- Big Data/distributed programming experience, especially Cassandra, Kafka, Storm or analogues
- Functional programming (ideally Clojure) experience.
- To work with the latest technologies and be paid to learn on the job
- The chance to work with a highly experienced and respected team involved in Java / Clojure / Big Data communities
- An opportunity to be paid to do some open source and have involvement and profile in the community at large
- Highly competitive salary (we think quality talent pays for itself)
- Health insurance
- A comfortable spacious office in a great location, metres from Queen St
- A flat structured company and open culture where you can contribute directly to respected cloud products
- Work-life balance (we believe 40 hours means less mistakes, more enthusiasm and more quality).
- Have exceptional attention to detail and quality
- Have an analytical mind and can grasp complex solutions
- Strive for simplicity and efficiency in your work
- Highly organised and enjoy being part of a talented and creative team
- Are proactive and take ownership of an issue through to resolution
- Able to stay focused in a multitasking environment
- Passionate about your field of expertise
- Quiet achiever
- Exceptional command of the English language (written and verbal).
SMX OFFERS YOU
A highly competitive salary package including healthcare, ongoing development, and potential offshore conferences. You will work with a highly experienced and respected team. Our office is spacious and located in the Auckland CBD. A flat management structure and an open culture where you can contribute directly to respected cloud products with thousands of end-users around the world. We encourage work-life balance, we believe 40 hours means more enthusiasm.
SMX is committed to building a culturally diverse company and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
Remember, in order to be considered you must be living in New Zealand now and be legally entitled to work in the country. Please email your current CV and details of your experience directly related to the role, to SMX Recruitment Manager, Sally Jackson.
m: 022 308 4259
ph: 09 950 2204 (Free phone: 0800 769 769)